Monday, January 3, 2011

The first Sunday of 2011

Yesterday was the first Sunday of the year and the month.  At church that means people in the congregation are invited to come forward and share their testimonies of Christ.  The first guy up was a 16 year old who had just been baptized on New Years Day. He said that he was the happiest he has ever been in his whole life and is so grateful to have found the church.  You could hear his sincerity and enthusiasm as he spoke.  I love that at 16 he realizes what's really important, not video games, sports, cars or girls - but living right and the gospel.

I got up next - in my book there is no better way to start the year than by declaring where I stand and what I know.  I expressed my appreciation for the warm welcome that we have received from the ward and testified that our being here is an answer to my prayers that we would be in the right ward for our family.
Next to the pulpit was Marquis. He is a black gentleman who converted to the church I believe about 7 years ago.  He also shared his enthusiasm for the gospel of Jesus Christ.  Later in the hall as we passed by him he joked that two black people bearing their testimonies consecutively in the LDS church was a first - Stan laughed and said he hadn't seen my family all at church on a first Sunday! 

Also in the meeting I was sustained as a Sunday school teacher for the 14 year olds.  The congregation has the opportunity to show their sustaining vote by a raise of hands.  All did sustain me including Stan, who isn't a baptized member. He kindly leaned over and said he sustained me too - and he does!  He took the lil guy while I taught class, which was a big help.  After Sunday school, he went to Priesthood to meet the young men he will be coaching for basketball.  I'm so glad he's willing to get involved as he has so much to offer.

We finished our day off by Stan making gumbo and his sister Liz's family who were in town from Arizona visiting with us.  

What a blessed day!

2 comments:

  1. Ha! I'm first! Nice post. Uhhhh, happy new year sis! I got up too in my ward. The message that swelled in my heart yesterday was...just give in to goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cheri!!! I love that your first post is about Fast and Testimony meeting :) I would have loved to have heard you, that is a great tradition for the new year! At our ward Cecile (French, red hair-remember her?) gave her testimony and for the first time, I understood her English with her extremly strong French accent. Miracles happen every day! It was a sweet testimony. Love you and your family! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete